What is my financial commitment?
1. The start-up payments, the membership type and the associated lump-sum or monthly direct debit membership fees, initial payment term and payment dates you have chosen are set out in the ‘My Membership’ box on the application form (the initial term is the first period of membership).
2. If you are paying by direct debit, your signature on the credit-card or debit-card form authorises us to use that card to take the monthly payment if we do not receive your direct-debit payment for any reason. If you fall behind with your membership fees and this is not caused by a bank error, we may charge reasonable administration fees or suspend or cancel your membership and we may pass your details to a debt-collection company to recover any outstanding payments.
3. We may decide to increase our membership fees, but your fees will not increase in your first year of membership. We will give you one month’s notice of any fee change. If you pay your membership fees as a lump-sum payment, we will only review your membership fees when your membership is due for renewal.
What clubs can I use and when?
4. We have several club tiers (tier one being the highest). The clubs you can use depend on the club tier and type of membership you have chosen (see the ‘My Membership’ box). If you have multiclub membership, you can use the clubs within your tier and in any tier below. Clubs may change tier over time, but you can see a full up-to-date list of all our clubs and their tiers on our website and in our clubs. You must join the club you will use most often. If, over a two-month period, you use another club more than your home club, we have the right to transfer your membership to the club you use most often and this may affect your membership fees. If you have single-club membership, you can only use the club you join (your home club). If you have off-peak membership, you can use your home club during limited times only. Before signing the membership agreement, please make sure you are aware of all of the membership options and which club (or clubs) your membership allows you to use, including club tiers and access times. Please note that our Berkeley Square club is not included in multiclub use as the building’s landlord restricts public access for security reasons. Please speak to a member of staff if anything is unclear.
What if I want to leave or stop going to my club?
5. If you need to take a temporary break from your club for any reason you can freeze your membership for a reduced fee, for one to 12 months, at any time after your second month of membership. ‘Freezes’ begin on the 1st of each month and you need to request the freeze at least five working days before this. If you freeze your membership within your initial payment term, these ‘frozen months’ do not count towards your initial contract length.
6. You can cancel your membership within 10 days of joining and we will refund any membership fees you have paid as long as we receive your cancellation notice (see section 7) within this time frame. In that situation, we will also refund any starter programme fees which you may have paid as long as you have not yet used the programme.
7. If you pay your membership fees upfront in one single lump sum, your membership will automatically end at the end of the initial term unless you choose to renew it. If you pay your membership fees monthly by direct debit, your membership will automatically continue at the end of the initial term unless you give us one full calendar month’s notice to end it. (Your one month’s notice must end on the last day of the initial term.) If your contract rolls over after the initial term, you can end your membership by giving us one full calendar month’s notice. You must pay your full membership rate during your month’s notice. You can give us notice: in person at your home club; by calling 0844 571 3400; or by writing to Fitness First UK Contact Centre (address above). Example: You give notice on any day in April, but your full calendar month’s notice will not start until 1 May and you will leave on 31 May (your final payment will be for the month of May).
8. You can cancel your membership at any time if your circumstances change to such an extent that it is not possible for you to continue to use your home club’s facilities (for example, you have an injury or medical condition, become pregnant, move to a different workplace, move house or are made redundant). We will need to receive documents as proof of the change in your circumstances by the 15th of the month in order to cancel your membership at the end of that month. If we receive documents after the 15th of the month your final membership fees will be taken the following month and your membership will be cancelled at the end of that month. We will refund any fees you have paid upfront for a membership period that has not yet passed. You can also cancel your membership if we seriously break these terms and conditions. We can cancel your membership if: you have seriously broken the club rules or any terms of this contract; you do not pay any fee or charge within seven days of the date it was due, and we have written to you and given you a further 14 days to pay (so the fee or charge is more than 21 days late); or your home club permanently closes (if this happens, we will refund any membership fees you have paid upfront for a period of membership that has not yet been completed).
What else should I know?
9. Our staff, agents and subcontractors are not medically qualified so if you have any doubts about your fitness or capability to exercise, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a doctor first. For safety reasons, you are responsible for correctly using all club facilities and agree to keep to the conditions in the Health Commitment Statement, which is available in our clubs and online. If you are not sure how to use any equipment, always ask a member of staff.
10. Personal trainers at our clubs are self-employed. Any service they provide is a contract between them and you and we cannot accept any responsibility if a personal trainer breaks the contract or is negligent, unless the negligence results in injury or death.
11. We will not be liable to you for any loss, damage or theft of any property you bring onto our premises while it is not in a locked locker. The most we will pay you for any loss, damage or theft to property while it is in a locked locker is £500 (for any one incident) if the loss, damage or theft is caused by our (or our employees’, agents’ or subcontractors’) negligence. You must keep to our club rules, which are available in our club and online at fitnessfirst.co.uk/clubrules. We may change our club rules if this is reasonably necessary. We will give you plenty of notice if we decide to do this. We can transfer all or any part of our rights or responsibilities under this contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights under the contract.