What is my financial commitment?
1. The start-up payments, the membership type and the associated lump-sum or monthly direct debit membership fees, initial payment term and payment dates you have chosen are set out in the ‘My Membership’ box on the application form (the initial term is the first period of membership).
2. If you are paying by direct debit, your signature on the credit-card or debit-card form authorises us to use that card to take the monthly payment if we do not receive your direct-debit payment for any reason. If you fall behind with your membership fees and this is not caused by a bank error, we may charge reasonable administration fees or suspend or cancel your membership and we may pass your details to a debt-collection company to recover any outstanding payments.
3. We may decide to increase our membership fees, but your fees will not increase in your initial term of membership (unless you do not provide ID for a membership type that requires it). We will give you one month’s notice of any fee change. If you pay your membership fees as a lump-sum payment, we will only review your membership fees when your membership is due for renewal.
What clubs can I use and when?
4. We have several club tiers (tier one being the highest). The clubs you can use depend on the club tier and type of membership you have chosen (see the ‘My Membership’ box). If you have multiclub membership, you can use the clubs within your tier and in any tier below. Clubs may change tier over time, but you can see a full up-to-date list of all our clubs and their tiers on our website and in our clubs. You must join the club you will use most often (your home club). If, over a two-month period, you use another club more than your home club, we have the right to transfer your membership to the club you use most often and this may affect your membership fees. If you have single-club membership, you can only use your home club. If you have off-peak membership, you can use your home club during limited times only. Before signing the membership agreement, please make sure you are aware of all of the membership options and which club (or clubs) your membership allows you to use, including club tiers and access times. Please note that our Berkeley Square club is not included in multiclub use as the building’s landlord restricts public access for security reasons. Please speak to a member of staff if anything is unclear.
What if I want to leave or stop going to my club?
5. If you need to take a temporary break for any reason you can freeze your membership for a reduced fee, or you may be able to freeze your membership free of charge for medical reasons (as long as you provide acceptable medical evidence), for between one and 12 calendar months, as long as you have completed one calendar month of membership. ‘Freezes’ begin on the 1st of each month and you need to request the freeze at least five working days before this. If you freeze your membership within your initial payment term, these ‘frozen months’ do not count towards your initial contract length. We may decide to increase the fee for freezing your membership, but we will not do this while you are on a freeze. You can find details of our latest freeze fees on our website.
6. You can cancel your membership within 14 days of joining and we will refund any membership fees you have paid as long as we receive your cancellation notice (see term 7.3) within this time frame. In that situation, we will also refund any starter programme fees which you may have paid as long as you have not yet used the programme.
7.1 If you pay your membership fees upfront in one single lump sum, your membership will automatically end at the end of the initial term unless you choose to renew it.
7.2 If you pay your membership fees monthly by direct debit, your membership will automatically continue at the end of the initial term unless you give us one full calendar month’s notice to end it. (You can give one month’s calendar notice to end your contract on the last day of the initial term.) If your contract rolls over after the initial term, you can end your membership by giving us one full calendar month’s notice. You must pay your full membership rate during your month’s notice. Example: You give notice to end your membership contract on any day in April, but your full calendar month’s notice will not start until 1 May and you will leave on 31 May (your final payment will be for the month of May).
7.3 You can ask to cancel your membership and give us notice by providing your membership details: in person at your home club, by calling 0208 618 3100, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send or give you confirmation once we have processed your cancellation. This could be by email, letter or a receipt from the club, depending on how you tell us you want to cancel your membership. Please tell us if you do not receive this. You are responsible for cancelling your direct debit once we have processed your cancellation and any payments relating to notice periods have been taken. We are entitled to keep any membership fees we receive if you have not cancelled your direct debit instruction with your bank and you have not given us valid notice to cancel your membership.
8. You can cancel your membership at any time if your circumstances change to such an extent that we are satisfied it is not possible for you to continue to use your home club’s facilities (for example, due to medical reasons, if you are made redundant or if you move to an area which is more than 5 miles from your home club). To cancel your membership for medical reasons, you will need to give us notice (see term 7.3) and provide the documents we ask for as proof of the change in your circumstances by the end of the month in order to cancel your membership at the end of that month. To cancel your membership for non-medical reasons you must give us one full calendar month’s notice (see term 7.3) and provide suitable proof of your change in circumstance (there is more information at www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/faqs). During the initial membership term, you must continue to pay your membership fees each month until you have provided evidence of your change in circumstance and we are satisfied with it. We will refund any fees you have paid upfront for a membership period that has not yet passed. You can also cancel your membership if we seriously break these terms and conditions. We can cancel your membership if: you have seriously broken the club rules or any terms of this contract; you do not pay any fee or charge within seven days of the date it was due, and we have written to you and given you a further 14 days to pay (so the fee or charge is more than 21 days late); your home club permanently closes (if this happens, we will refund any membership fees you have paid upfront for a period of membership that has not yet been completed); or for any other reason if we consider it necessary to end your contract.
What induction do I get and what else should I know?
9. Our staff, agents and subcontractors are not medically qualified so if you have any doubts about your fitness or capability to exercise, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a doctor first. For safety reasons, you are responsible for correctly using all club facilities and reading club signs, and agree to keep to the conditions in the Health Commitment Statement, which is available in our clubs and online. We strongly advise that all members complete an induction to the gym and you should ask for one if we do not offer you one. If you are not sure how to use any equipment, always ask a member of staff.
10. Personal trainers at our clubs are self-employed and any service they provide is a contract between them and you.
11. We will not be liable to you for any loss, damage or theft of any property you bring onto our premises which happens while the property is not locked away in a locker. The maximum compensation we will pay for any loss, damage or theft to property is limited to a total amount of £500 (for any one incident) if the loss, damage or theft is caused by the negligence of Fitness First. You must keep to our club rules, which are available in our clubs and online in the My Fitness First section of our website. We may change our club rules if this is reasonably necessary. We can transfer all or any part of our rights or responsibilities under this contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights under the contract.