Having finished 25th at both the 2005 and 2007 World Championships, Tonia Couch broke through as an international contender on her Olympic debut in 2008, finishing eighth in the 10m Platform in Beijing. Born in Plymouth, she joined forces with Sarah Barrow four years later in London where they placed fifth in front of the home crowd, shortly after being crowned European 10m synchro champions. They took silver together at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow while Tonia regularly finished on the medal rostrum in both the individual and synchro events in the 2015 World Series.
Ahead of this summer’s Rio Olympic Games, which take place from August 5th to August 21st, Tonia has shared with us her weekly training plan. How does your weekly workout routine compare?
For updates on Tonia’s training and progress at Rio this summer, follow her on Twitter at @toniacouch. Check out the training plans of Team GB athletes Max Whitlock, Jazz Carlin, Vicky Holland, Philip Hindes, Hannah England and Bianca Walkden too.
Tonia's top gym exercises
- Dead lifts – 10 reps x 2 sets with 60 seconds of rest
- Squats – 10 reps x 2 sets with 60 seconds of rest
- Cleans – 10 reps x 2 with 60 seconds of rest
- Handstand press ups – 10 reps x 2 with 60 seconds with 60 seconds of rest
- Straddle up to handstand – 10 reps x 2 sets with 60 seconds of rest
- Press-up with 10kg on back – 10 reps x 2 sets with 60 seconds of rest
- Chins – 10 reps x 2 sets with 60 seconds of rest
- Backward somersault on the spot – 5 reps
Tonia's weekly training routine
[table id=20 /]