THESE SAVOURY MUFFINS ARE IDEAL FOR A FILLING BREAKFAST OR A QUICK SNACK ON A BUSY DAY.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 12 MUFFINS):
- 100g baby spinach, washed
- 215g unbleached plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 80g coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk
- 80g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan or gas mark 4) and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Place the spinach in a steaming basket and cover with a lid. Steam over a half-filled saucepan of simmering water until wilted (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Remove the spinach from the basket and let cool briefly before squeezing against the sides of a colander or sieve to extract as much water as possible. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the coconut oil, egg, and almond milk. Mix to make a rough batter (it shouldn't be totally smooth, however).
- Fold in the spinach and the cheese. Divide the batter between the paper cases.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden-brown and risen; a sharp knife should come out clean from their centres.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool before turning out and serving.