How fast can you swim 400m? Fitness First and Swim England are challenging you to swim your best 400m to be in with the chance of winning a free personalised coaching programme with a Swim England coach.
However, first, we think you should try our 20-step training programme to help you swim further and faster as well as develop your swimming skills … and most importantly, improve your 400m time.
Each session will take you through a warm-up, skill development, main set and swim down.
Here is session 1. Click here to access the full 20 session programme.
Lengths: 12 (25m pool)
Equipment Required: A float
- Swim two lengths with a swim stroke of your choice, easy effort.
- Try to relax the body and your breathing.
- Holding the side of the pool with both hands, extend your legs behind and kick for 20 seconds.
- Repeat two more times.
- Aim to keep your hips close to the surface. If your hips sink, try putting your face in the water.
- Swim 4 x 1 length with kick of your choice with a float
- Swim 4 x 1 length with swim stroke of your choice
- Swim at steady effort. Rest between 20 and 30 seconds after each length.
- Swim two lengths with a swim stroke of your choice. Swim at easy effort.
- Lengthen your stroke to stretch out your muscles and aid recovery.