Winter is often the time when the urge to hibernate indoors can be extremely overpowering; the colder temperatures and shorter days can make it a big challenge to step outside.
However, group fitness classes can help you not only survive but thrive in the winter months.
At Fitness First, we believe that staying fit and healthy is a year-round affair. From motivation and social connection to the physical and mental health benefits, we'll explore how participating in group fitness classes can transform your winter, making it a season of personal growth!
What are group fitness classes?
Group fitness classes are organised exercise sessions led by certified fitness instructors who provide motivation and guidance, helping you toward your fitness goal.
These sessions will typically happen in places like dedicated fitness studios or gyms, and they’re a great way to get a structured and enjoyable workout.
Some of our most popular group classes at Fitness First include:
- SHRED: This exclusive class combines compound lifting with a HIIT-based workout that drives calorie burn, performance, strength and conditioning. Expect everything from squats to lunges, bench presses, clean and presses and more!
- Spin: Whether you’re a seasoned professional or just starting your fitness journey towards a healthier lifestyle, our spin classes are designed to ignite your passion and push your limits. Experience various terrains, from rolling hills to challenging climbs, as you take a virtual ride with one of our certified instructors.
- HIIT: Push yourself to the limit and beyond with a HIIT workout. This specialised form of internal training involves short, intense exercises separated by longer, low-intensity exercises. HIIT is a very physically intense and demanding class, but it’s equally as rewarding.
- Yoga: Rain your mind as well as your body with yoga. With improvements to your strength, muscular definition, balance and flexibility, yoga classes are a brilliant full-body workout — even if it is slower paced than other fitness classes!
- Pilates: A low-impact exercise that aims to strengthen muscles while improving postural alignment and flexibility, Pilates is a great fitness class to attend. Pilates workouts are mostly mat-based, so our instructors can help tailor to your personal fitness levels and are suitable for complete beginners.
What are the benefits of group fitness classes?
Group fitness classes can offer an array of benefits that can help you stay motivated and active, even during the chill of winter.
1. Motivation and accountability
Finding the motivation to work out can be a real challenge during the winter months, especially when your cosy bed looks even more inviting. Group fitness classes offer a sense of accountability, as knowing that others are expecting you to show up can be a powerful incentive to help you persevere.
Instructors lead the way during each class, offering encouragement and expert guidance. Their enthusiasm is infectious, and they can help you beat the winter workout blues!
2. Variety and challenge
From high-intensity interval training to dance-based workouts and even yoga and pilates, there are so many fitness classes to choose from. No matter your preference or fitness level, there’s certainly something for everyone.
Trying different classes can help prevent that feeling of monotony that can come with doing the same workouts, day in, day out and help keep you engaged in your fitness regime.
3. Social support
The sense of community and camaraderie in group fitness classes is unmatched. It's a great opportunity to meet like-minded individuals who share your fitness goals or even some other common interests!
Exercising in a group setting fosters a supportive environment where you can inspire and be inspired by others.
4. Structured workouts
With classes that are well thought out and planned in advance, our group fitness classes provide structure and are expertly designed to help you reach your fitness objectives.
Instructors guide you through a balanced session, ensuring you target all major muscle groups and work on various fitness components, including strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular fitness.
5. Fun and enjoyment
Group fitness classes make exercise enjoyable; the music, the energy, and the sense of shared achievement can make every class feel like a celebration — even if you don’t know what you’re doing in the class!
The fun and dynamic nature of group classes can transform your perspective on winter workouts from daunting to exciting and give you that confidence boost you might otherwise not get when you’re working out by yourself.
Are group classes appropriate for all fitness levels, including beginners?
Group fitness classes are absolutely suitable for individuals of all fitness levels, including beginners. In fact, they can be an excellent starting point for those new to exercise.
Fitness instructors are skilled at creating classes that can be tailored to accommodate participants with varying levels of fitness experience. They provide modifications and alternatives for exercises, allowing beginners to start at a comfortable pace and gradually progress.
The group setting offers a supportive and encouraging environment where everyone can work together toward their fitness goals. So whether you're a beginner looking to kickstart your fitness journey or an experienced exerciser seeking variety and motivation, group fitness classes can cater to your needs and help you succeed no matter what this may look like for you!
How can you stay motivated to attend group fitness classes when it’s cold?
Staying motivated to attend a fitness class when it’s dark outside and the weather isn’t so inviting can be a challenge. However, there are several tips and tricks that you can implement to help get you ready to take on any class:
- Set clear goals. Winter can be a challenging time for fitness, but setting specific, achievable goals can provide the motivation you need to stay on track. Whether you're aiming to improve your cardiovascular fitness, build muscle strength, or simply maintain your current level of fitness, having clear objectives in mind will help you stay focused and committed.
- Choose classes you enjoy. It's easier to find motivation when you genuinely enjoy the activity. Opt for group fitness classes that align with your interests and preferences. Whether it's a high-energy dance class or a relaxing yoga session, selecting classes that resonate with you will make it more likely that you'll look forward to attending, even in less-than-ideal weather.
- Remember the benefits. Remind yourself of the numerous physical and mental health benefits that come from regular exercise. Regular workouts in winter can help combat seasonal affective disorder (SAD), boost your mood, reduce stress, and increase your energy levels. Keeping these benefits in mind can provide the necessary motivation to get moving, even when it's cold and dark outside.
- Embrace the challenge. View the challenge of staying active during the winter as an opportunity for personal growth and resilience. Embracing the challenge of winter workouts can be incredibly rewarding. It's a chance to prove to yourself that you can overcome obstacles, no matter the weather, and emerge physically and mentally stronger.