FOR A MUCH-NEEDED HIT OF CARBOHYDRATE, ENJOY A BOWL OF WHOLEWHEAT PASTA WITH THIS TASTY HOME-MADE PESTO.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4):
- 450g broccoli, prepared into florets
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large handful basil leaves, tightly packed
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 40g Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 500g wholewheat spaghetti
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the broccoli in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until tender to the tip of a knife (approx. 4-5 minutes) or, alternatively, steam in a steaming basket over a half-filled saucepan of simmering water for 5-6 minutes.
- Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water. Drain again and place half the florets in a food processor or blender with the garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, Parmesan plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Purée until smooth and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until 'al dente' (approx. 8-10 minutes).
- Drain and then toss with tablespoons of the pesto to coat. Add the remaining broccoli and toss again.
- Divide between plates and serve with the extra Parmesan on top.