Max Whitlock won three medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and made his major championship debut at the following year’s World Championship, travelling as a reserve. At the 2012 Olympics in London Whitlock won bronze in the men's pommel horse and as part of the men's team category. At the 2015 World Championships he became the first-ever Brit to win gold with victory in the pommel horse while he also won floor and team silver.
Ahead of this summer's Rio Olympic Games, which take place from August 5th to August 21st, Max has shared with us his weekly training plan. How does your weekly workout routine compare?
For updates on Max's training and progress at Rio this summer, follow him on Twitter at @maxwhitlock1. Check out the training plans of Team GB athletes Jazz Carlin, Vicky Holland, Hannah England and Bianca Walkden too.
MAX'S TOP FIVE GYM EXERCISES
- Press ups – 25 reps x 3 sets with 30 seconds of rest between each
- Tricep dips – 25 reps x 3 sets with 30 seconds of rest between each
- Squats – 25 reps x 3 sets with 30 seconds of rest between each
- Pull ups – 25 reps x 3 sets with 30 seconds of rest between each
- Core work: sit ups – 50 reps x 2 sets; planks – hold for 120 seconds x 3 sets; medicine ball – 12 reps x 3 sets